Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

100-200 - Leadenhall Street (City of London)

The Leadenhall Street (Roman) Mosaic was discovered during building work on the premises of the East India Company in Leadenhall Street, City of London. The surviving medallion depicts Bacchus with a wreath of vine leaves on his head and a goblet in his hand astride a tigress. The design was recorded, before the floor was removed in sections. During the nineteenth century, fragments of the mosaic were stored in the open air, and their condition deteriorated. Three sections, including the central roundel, were subsequently restored. As a consequence, the present surface represents Victorian conservation rather than the original Roman appearance. The surviving pieces were transferred to the British Museum in 1880.

Up next 190-225 - Coleman Street (City of London) 1245-1268 - Westminster Abbey (Westminster)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)