Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1335-1345 - Lombard Street (City of London)

The Florentine merchant-bank of Peruzzi came to prominence around 1275. Run by family members, it soon became one of Europe’s most efficient money houses with fifteen branches from the Middle East to London’s Lombard Street by 1335. Source of its wealth was the wool trade with Bruges at its centre. They expanded the business by shipping silks, drugs, spices, and luxuries from the East. Gradually their activities turned to banking. They became money lenders to royalty, aristocracy, and clergy. When Edward III became embroiled in an expensive war with France, he borrowed a vast amount of money (600,000 gold florins) from the Peruzzi family. With the war dragging on, the King repudiated his enormous debts to foreign bankers in 1343. Peruzzi was ruined and liquidated in 1345. The collapse of this and other Florentine banks was a major cause of a great depression that lasted beyond the 1340s.

Up next 1306-1334 - Not traced 1436-1439 - Lombard Street (City of London)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)