Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1370-1400 - Not traced

Merchant Bartholomew Bosan was a native of Lucca who had established a business in London by the early 1370s, trading to Bruges which was a common centre for commercial activity by Italian merchants living in London at this time. He imported a variety of items, mostly Flemish and Brabant linen thread together with the luxury fabrics from Lucca such as satins, silk baldachins, Cyprus gold brocades and velvets, as well as raw silks and small amounts of drugs and spices such as wormseed, rhubarb, and pepper.

Such imports, while finding a natural outlet in sales to London mercers, would have guaranteed him an entrée to aristocratic and clerical households. Lucchese fabrics were popular at Edward IIIs court, where they were used for wedding garments and as gifts to retiring ambassadors, as well as at funerals and for donations to religious houses. Bosan was granted letters of denisation in 1391. He died in 1400.

Up next 1878-1914 - Eyre Street Hill (Clerkenwell) 1483-1492 - Candlewick Street (City of London)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)