Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1451-1490 Coleman Street (City of London)

Wool and silk dealer Carlo Gigli was born in Lucca. His business flourished and he was admitted as a member of the prestigious confraternity of Our Lady of the Dry Tree in Bruges, where wealthy merchants rubbed shoulders with Burgundian nobles and high clergy. His luck did not last as he fell foul of his ducal patron sometime after 1445. The dispute might have been the reason for Gigli to ply his trade in England. He obtained a safe-conduct from the Crown in 1451 and took out letters of denisation in 1460.

His Bruges-born son Giovanni also settled in England and received letters of denisation in December 1477 when living in Coleman Street Ward. He acted as a tutor to Edward IVs children. From 1490 onwards, he served as the English ambassador at the Roman Curia. He was consecrated Bishop of Worcester in September 1497, but he died in Rome in August 1498 without having visited his see.

Up next 1547-1553 - Lambeth Palace Road (Lambeth) 1506-1517 St Stephen (Westminster)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)