Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1481-1527 - Richmond Palace (Richmond)

Poet Pietro Carmeliano [Petrus Carmelianus, Peter Carmelian] was born around 1451 in Valle Sabbia near Brescia. He was schooled in the studia humanitatis’ before beginning ten years of travel which extended as far as the Orient. In 1481 he moved from Rome to London via Brittany. He remained in London for most of his life. He was one of the King’s chaplains at Richmond Palace and by 1490 he acted as Henry VIIs Latin secretary. Soon after his arrival, he began contributing to English humanist printed publications, editing the correspondence between Pope Sixtus IV and Giovanni Mocenigo, Doge of Venice, to which he contributed a prose preface (printed by William Caxton, probably in 1484). He supplied prefatory Latin verses for the editions of grammatical works by John Anwykyll. Carmeliano’s status began to decline under the influence of the Erasmian humanism of the reign of Henry VIII. He died, presumably in London, in August 1527.

Up next 1436-1439 - Lombard Street (City of London) 1407-1424 - Minories (Aldgate)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)