Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1502-1553 - St Paul’s Churchyard (City of London)

Humanist historian Polydore Vergil [Polidoro Virgili] was born around 1470, probably at Fermignano, near Urbino. Having studied at the University of Padua, he published De inventoribus rerum in Venice in three books (1499). Each chapter was devoted to a question of origins: the beginning of things, the creation of men, the origin of languages, etc. In 1521 he published an expanded version in eight books. In its Latin format the work went through more than thirty editions in his lifetime (more than hundred editions when the numerous vernacular translations are included). By 1502 he was in the service of Pope Alexander VI to represent the papal interests in England. Soon he counted Thomas More, Cuthbert Tunstall, Thomas Linacre, and William Latimer among his friends. Today, he is best known for his Anglica historia. A first manuscript version of the study was completed in 1512/3. This book was first published in 1534 by Johann Bebel in Basel. This was followed by a much revised second and third edition (1546 and 1555). Vergil used an array of both historical and contemporary source materials. His ecclesiastical duties did not interfere with his literary activities. Living in a house in St Paul’s Churchyard, he managed to avoid religious conflicts. He left England in 1553 and died at Urbino in April 1555.

Up next 1746-1770 - Cheapside (City of London) 1547-1553 - Lambeth Palace (Lambeth)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)