Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1540-1591 - Palace of Westminster (Westminster)

String player and composer Ambrosio [Ambrose] Lupo was born in the first half of the sixteenth century, probably in Milan. His family members were Sephardi Jews who had been expelled from Spain and settled in Milan and Venice. Lupo (meaning wolf’) was often used as a surname by Jews in gentile society.

In 1539/40, three individuals de Milano’, Ambrosio, Romano and Alexandro, were among the six string players (known as the Venetian Brethern’: they were all Jews from Northern Italian Sephardic communities) recruited by Henry VIII for the English court in 1539/40. Romano died in 1542, when the group returned briefly to Italy, and Alexander disappears from records in 1544. Ambrosio, however, remained and founded a dynasty whose members served in the court violin consort up to the Civil War. He served in the English court string consort from 1 May 1540 until his death. He may be creator of the pieces ascribed to Ambrose’ in English lute sources. He died in February 1591. His sons Pietro [Peter; born in Venice around 1535] and Josepho [Joseph; born around 1537 in Venice] also joined the court string consort. Until the end of Henry VIIIs reign the viol consort at court was entirely the province of foreign, mostly Jewish, musicians (in spite of the Edict that had banned Jews in England since 1290).

Up next 1530-1713 - Lombard Street (City of London) 1550-1566 - Austin Friars (City of London)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)