Architect John of Padua has been recorded as active at the Royal court between 1543 and 1557. He was granted the position of ‘Deviser of His Majesty’s Buildings’ in service to Henry VIII and his successor Edward VI. He was one of many Continental architects and artisans invited to settle in England and introduce new styles and concepts. John of Padua is an enigmatic figure in architectural history. His name has been associated with a number notable Renaissance buildings, including Charlecote House, Holdenby House, Longleat House, Wollaton Hall, Caius College, Cambridge, and most notably the ‘old’ Somerset House, Strand (built on behalf of the Protector Somerset and pulled down in 1775). Many of these attributions remain highly speculative. His name disappears from all records after 1557.