Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1545-1599 - Not traced

Illuminator and calligraphist Petruccio Ubaldini was born about 1524 in Tuscany. He was probably an illegitimate child. He started his career as a mercenary. He came to England in 1545, entered the service of the Crown, and fought in the Scottish War. Having been introduced to the court of Elizabeth I, he taught Italian, transcribed and illuminated manuscripts, and wrote or translated into Italian historical and other tracts.

In 1551, he recorded his experience of English manners, customs, and institutions in a Relatione delle cose del Regno d’Inghilterra (now among the Marco Foscarini manuscripts in Vienna’s Imperial Library). In 1588, he translated into Italian the account of the defeat of the Spanish Armada compiled for Howard of Effingham. He returned to Italy (Venice) for some time, but returned in the early 1560s. In 1588, he wrote Descrittione del Regno di Scotia. He died in 1599 in London.

Up next 1598-1651 - St Mary Magdalen (Southwark) 1572-1580 - Austin Friars (City of London)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)