Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1550-1569 - St Helen’s (Bishopsgate)

Physician Cesare Adelmare or Caesar Dadelmare [Caesar à Dalmariis] was born in Treviso (the date of his birth is not known) in the Republic of Venice. He was a graduate of the faculty of medicine at Padua. About 1550 he moved to London where in 1557 he was granted naturalisation with immunity from the taxation imposed on aliens. He was admitted a fellow of the College of Physicians in 1554. He attended upon Queen Mary and later upon Queen Elizabeth and members of the court. When he sent a prescription to William Cecil in 1563, Adelmare addressed him as his dominus and patronus’. In 1561 he fixed his residence in Bishopsgate having purchased a house which had formed part of the dissolved Priory of St Helen’s. He died in Bishopsgate in 1569.

Up next 1673-1712 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1565-1606 - Hart Street (City of London)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)