Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1562-1581 - Wood Street (City of London)

Physician Giulio Borgarucci [known as Dr Julio] came from Urbino (date of birth is not known). He arrived in London as a Protestant refugee, and was a member of the Italian church. He obtained denisation in 1562. The following year he was sent to Le Havre, to aid Ambrose Dudley’s besieged garrison, which was suffering from plague; but, becoming ill, he soon returned. Back in London, Borgarucci treated the plague epidemic by blood-letting, and advocated the use of a balsamic ball for countering the effects of foul air. He lived in Wood Street in the heart of the City. In 1576 he had removed to St Botolph without Bishopsgate and spent time as a medical doctor in Cambridge. By patent of September 1573 he was made physician to the Royal household for life. Borgarucci died in January 1581.

Up next 1547-1553 - Lambeth Palace (Lambeth) 1588-1627 - Aldersgate Street (City of London)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)