Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1580-1608 - Gray’s Inn (Holborn) 

Jurist Alberico Gentili was born 14 January 1552 at San Ginesio in the Marche region. He studied law at the University of Perugia. In 1579 he was exiled for his Protestant sympathies and moved to London in 1580. From 1581 he taught at the University of Oxford and became the first non-English Regius Professor in 1587.

His De jure belli libri tres was a major source for Hugo Grotius’s De jure belli ac pacis (1625). The book established his reputation as the co-founder of international law and the first legal mind to separate secular law from theology and canon law. Much of his legal work was done in London as he practiced in the High Court Admiralty. In 1600 he was called to the Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn. He died in London in June 1608 and was buried in the Church of St Helen Bishopsgate.

Up next 1571-1673 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1598-1651 - St Mary Magdalen (Southwark)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)