Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1583-1586 - Barbican (City of London)

Philosopher and cosmologist Giordano Bruno was born Filippo Bruno in 1548 in Nola (Campania, then part of the Kingdom of Naples), the son of a soldier. He was educated in Naples. He entered the Dominican Order at the age of seventeen, but quickly began to hold heretical opinions. He eventually left his monastery, fled the Inquisition, and travelled throughout Europe. He moved to London in 1583 as a guest of the French ambassador. There he became acquainted with the poet Philip Sydney (to whom he dedicated two books). During his stay, Bruno completed his most important works, the six so-called Italian Dialogues. They were published in London by John Charlewood at the Half-Eagle & Key in the Barbican. Bruno’s controversial views and tactless language lost him the support of friends. He left England for France in 1586. In 1589 he returned to Italy where he was denounced by the Inquisition. He spent eight years in prison and was burnt at the stake in 1600.

Up next 1574-1575 - Hampton Court (East Molesey) 1609-1649 - Not traced
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)