London’s Brent Reservoir is popularly known as the Welsh Harp. It takes its informal name from the Welsh Harp, a public house first recorded in 1751 near the site on Edgware Road. Its sign shows the shape of an early harp with three rows of strings. This triple harp originated from Italy and appeared in London early in the seventeenth century when, in 1629, the French harpist Jean Le Flelle was appointed ‘musician for the harp’ at the King’s court. The instrument was adopted by Welsh harpers living in the capital. In 1660, Welsh triple harpist Charles Evans was appointed harper to the court where his official title was ‘His Majesty’s harper for the Italian harp’. By the beginning of the eighteenth century the triple harp was generally known as the ‘Welsh harp’.