In 1679 London’s first warm bath was built after the Turkish fashion, lined and floored with luxurious marble. It was located at Pentecost (Pincock) Lane. John Strype described the facility as being much in use and ‘resorted unto for Sweating, being found very good for aches, etc. and approved by our Physicians’.
It proved so popular that the name of the location was changed to (Royal) Bagnio Court, later to Bagnio Street, and then (in 1843) Bath Street. The Italian word bagnio was used in general for a bath or bath-house. By the first half of the eighteenth century bagnios had become popular and a number of them were to be found in Covent Garden.
Richard Haddock was the proprietor of the Turk’s Head Bagnio at Charing Cross which won fame thanks to William Hogarth’s ‘Marriage à la Mode’ series (a story cycle of six paintings, 1743/45). By that time bagnio had become an equivalent of massage parlour or brothel. In 1885, for reasons unknown, the street was renamed as Roman Bath Street. A deadend road for those researching the history of migration - there is no Roman connection.