Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1708-1716 - Arlington Street (Westminster)

Landscape painter Marco Ricci was born on 5 June 1676 at Belluno, in the Republic of Venice, the son of a landscape painter. He is said to have fled to Dalmatia, after having killed a gondolier in a brawl. He arrived in England in 1708 in company of fellow Venetian painter Giovanni Antonio Pellegrini having been invited by the opera-loving British ambassador at Venice, Charles Montagu, 4th Duke of Manchester.

After their arrival, the pair worked on the decoration of the hall and staircase at Manchester House, Arlington Street, and on scenery for two Queen’s Theatre (Haymarket) opera productions of 1709. Pellegrini and Ricci’s arrival ushered in a flowering of Venetian decorative painting which lasted until the early 1730s, when the taste for barochetto’ changed for Palladianism. Ricci left England in 1716. He died in January 1730. Ricci’s extraordinary landscapes anticipate the work of Piranesi.

Up next 1708-1713 - Arlington Street (Westminster) 1709-1712 - Haymarket (Westminster)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)