Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1716-1740 - Little Stanmore (Middlesex)

Composer and harpsichordist Pietro Giuseppe Sandoni was born in Bologna on 1 August 1685. A pupil of Giovanni Bononcini, he was taught the harpsichord by Francesco Salardi. In 1698 he was organist at San Giacomo Maggiore in Bologna. He was admitted to the Accademia Filarmonica in 1700 as organist and two years later was promoted to the rank of composer. He toured the European capitals as a harpsichordist, before settling in London in 1716 where he joined Handel’s Royal Academy of Music at Cannons, Little Stanmore. In 1722 he was sent to Italy to engage Francesca Cuzzoni as ther leading soprano for the Academy. He accompanied her to London. The couple were married around 1725. He was involved in the controversy between Handel and Bononcini and later joined the latter’s Opera of the Nobility. By 1740 his was working as a harpsichordist and organist in Amsterdam. Having separated from his wife, he spent his last years in Bologna where he died in August 1748.

Up next 1717-1724 - Not traced 1719-1730 - Henrietta Street (Covent Garden)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)