Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1719-1730 - Henrietta Street (Covent Garden)

Painter Vincenzo Damini was born in Venice towards the end of the seventeenth century. He was a pupil of Giovanni Antonio Pellegrini, and accompanied him on his second visit to England in 1719. Pellegrini’s name is associated with a brief flowering of Venetian decorative painting in Britain which lasted until the early 1730s, although the fashion was already on the wane by the time Damini arrived. He was active in Lincolnshire. In the north transept of Lincoln Cathedral, he executed a wall painting and he painted a fresco of the Ascension in the church of St Peter-at-Arches, also in Lincoln. Five decorative paintings inset into the plaster ceiling of a room designed by James Gibbs for a house in Henrietta Street are attributed to him (the entire room is preserved in the V&A Museum). He is known to have painted a portrait of the London scenery painter John Devoto, a mezzotint of which was made by John Faber. Damini returned to Italy in 1730 where he died in about 1749.

Up next 1716-1740 - Little Stanmore (Middlesex) 1719-1733 - Little Stanmore (Middlesex)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)