Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1730-1740 - Charles Street (Covent Garden)

The third decade of the eighteenth century marked the breakthrough of the cello in Britain. The residence of Italian cellists in London began in 1700 with the arrival from Rome of Nicola Haym, and continued with Charles Pardini (by 1714) and Filippo [Pippo] Amadei (by 1715).

British cellomania started in 1732. On 5 May, soloist Pasquale de Marzis performed at Hickford’s Great Room and during that same year Friedrich Ludwig [Frederick Louis], Prince of Wales, started to take cello lessons under Pardini, setting an example that others followed. Neapolitan cellist Salvatore Lanzetti, on leave from the service of the King of Sardinia in Turin, arrived in London soon after. In 1736 Joseph Dall’Abaco visited from the court of the Elector of Cologne at Bonn, extending his stay to at least the end of 1737.

The cellist and theorist Giorgio Antoniotto probably arrived in London around the same time. By then, playing the cello had become the new rage imported from the Continent. Verona-born cellist Giacobbe Cervetto greatly benefitted from the popularity of the instrument. Having settled in London in the winter of 1739/40 his performances were greatly appreciated. His compositions include solos, duets, and trios, mostly for the cello. Cervetto lived at no. 7 Charles Street, Covent Garden.

Up next 1729-1739 - Not traced 1733-1737 - Lincoln’s Inn Fields (Camden)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)