Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1739-1754 - Not traced

Composer and cellist Salvatore Lanzetti was born in Naples in 1710. He was a pupil at the Conservatory of Santa Maria di Loreto where he devoted himself to the study of cello and of composition. Having worked at the court chapel in Lucca and at the court of Vittorio Amedeo II in Turin, he published a first set of sonatas for cello in Amsterdam (Op. 1, 1736) and dedicated two later sets to the cello-playing Prince of Wales.

He moved to London in 1739 where he was active until 1754. He belonged to the first generation of the great cello virtuosos of his time and established the cello as a solo instrument. He returned to Italy in 1754 and published his Principes ou l’application de violoncelle pour tous les sens (Amsterdam, c.1760). By 1760 he was once again in Turin acting as a member of the chapel until his death in 1780.

Up next 1740-1816 - Great St Helens (Bishopsgate) 1741-1766 - Gerrard Street (Soho)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)