Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1744-1749 - Maids of Honour Row (Richmond)

Painter Antonio Joli was born in Modena, where he studied perspective under Raffaello Rinaldi before becoming a pupil of Giovanni Paolo Panini in Rome. He worked for the theatre in Modena, and in Venice from 1732 until 1742. After travelling to Germany, he settled in London from 1744 to 1748/9.

Joli was taken up by opera manager Johann Jakob Heidegger, working for him at the King’s Theatre and decorating his house at no. 4 Maids of Honour Row in Richmond with landscapes and capriccios. He was invited to the Spanish court in 1749 and left Madrid for Italy in 1754. He was a founder member of the Venetian Academy in 1755. By the late 1750s was in Naples, working on a large group of topographical views for John, Lord Brudenell. He worked in Naples from 1762 as a painter of scenery, of court life, and of sparkling vedute. He died in April 1777.

Up next 1739-1745 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1780-1784 - Devonshire Square (City of London)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)