Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1746-1770 - Cheapside (City of London)

Composer, harpsichordist, and teacher Pietro Domenico Paradies [Paradisi] was born in Naples in 1707. A student of Nicola Porpora, he dedicated himself at first to composing for the theatre without much success. In 1746 he moved to London, where he acted as a teacher of harpsichord and singing.

His reputation is due to his music for the harpsichord and is best remembered for a composition popularly entitled Toccata in A’, the allegro movement from Sonata VI in A Major (which has established for itself a considerable discography). His style was influenced by Alessandro Scarlatti and contemporaries highly rated his twelve Sonate di gravicembalo, published in 1754 by John Johnson at the Harp & Crown at no. 10 Cheapside. He was also the author of concertos for organ and harpsichord. In 1770 he returned to Italy and died in August 1791 in Venice.

Up next 1780-1784 - Devonshire Square (City of London) 1502-1553 - St Paul’s Churchyard (City of London)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)