Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1753-1783 - Haymarket (Westminster)

Composer Tommaso Giordani was born around 1733 probably in or near Naples, the son of librettist Giuseppe Giordani and his wife, Antonia, a singer, who formed a travelling opera company in Naples in the 1740s. The company, including Tommaso, his brother Francesco, a dancer, and his sisters Nicolina and Marina, both singers, played in Ancona and Pesaro in 1745, before moving north to Graz in 1747, Frankfurt and Salzburg in 1750, Amsterdam in 1752, Paris in 1753, and reached London by the end of 1753. There they performed the comic opera Gli amanti gelosi on 17 December 1753 at Covent Garden Theatre.

By 1764, the group was performing at the Smock Alley Theatre in Dublin. The family remained in Dublin, being engaged at the Crow Street Theatre until 1767. Tommaso returned to London in 1768 where he became involved with the King’s Theatre, Haymarket. He was a prolific composer of instrumental music and wrote popular songs for concerts at Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens, many of which he published.

He returned to Dublin in the summer of 1783. With the German Jewish counter-tenor Michael Leoni [Myer Lyon] he then created the English Opera House at the Little Theatre in Capel Street in December 1783. The venture was a financial disaster, and they were declared bankrupt in July 1784. He remained in Dublin working as a composer and teacher (one of his pupils was pianist John Field). Giordani was president of the Irish Music Fund from 1794. He died in February 1806 at his home, no. 201 Great Britain Street, Dublin.

Up next 1752-1773 - Piccadilly (Westminster) 1754-1763 - Haymarket (Westminster)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)