Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1754-1763 - Haymarket (Westminster)

Soprano Regina Mingotti was born Regina Valentini in Naples on 6 February 1722. The daughter of an Austrian officer, she was educated at an Ursuline convent in Graz. In 1747 she married impresario Pietro Mingotti who (with his brother Angelo) took her to Dresden where she performed in Gluck’s opera La nozze d’Ercole e d’Ebe at the court of Friedrich Christian von Sachsen. From the 1730s to the 1750s the Mingotti brothers ran a distinguished troupe of operisti, giving concerts in most European capitals. She left Germany in 1752 and travelled to Madrid to sing at the Spanish court where the opera was directed by Farinelli, the great castrato. In 1754, Francesco Vanneschi hired Mingotti at the King’s Theatre, Haymarket. She would become the first female to run London’s opera house. London music critics labelled her a female Garrick’. She retired from the stage in 1763 (four years after the death of her husband) and settled in Munich. She died in 1807.

Up next 1753-1783 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1767-1808 - Great Titchfield Street (Westminster)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)