Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1755-1778 - Great Pulteney Street (Soho)

Virtually nothing is known about Italian-born guitarist Giovanni Battista Marella. His name first appeared in the late 1740s when he was first violinist of the Concert Spirituel in Paris. By 1750 he had moved to Dublin where he directed the Band of Musick at the New Gardens’ and played both the violin and the viola d´amour.

In 1754 he married the singer Eleonara Oldmixon, a daughter of the playwright John Oldmixon. They settled in London and gave their first joint concert in the Little Theatre at Haymarket in January 1755. He was a pioneer of the guitar being the first guitarist ever to play a solo evening in Britain. In 1758 he published Sixty-six lessons for cister or guitar. In 1762 he wrote a second and last work in this style Compositions for the Cetra or Guitar. In 1763 he was recorded as a teacher of guitar at Great Pulteney Street, Golden Square. His last documented performance was in 1778.

Up next 1774-1787 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1758-1788 Clare Market (Westminster)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)