Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1760-1792 - St Martin’s Lane (Covent Garden)

Topographical draughtsman Jacob Schnebbelie was born in Duke’s Court, St Martin’s Lane, on 30 August 1760. His father was a native of Zurich who had served as a lieutenant in the Dutch army at the siege of Bergen-op-Zoom in 1747, before settling in England to become a confectioner in Rochester. Jacob, after carrying on the same business for a short time - first at Canterbury and then at Hammersmith - abandoned it, and became a drawing-master at Westminster. He was most likely self-taught.

Through the influence of Lord Leicester, the President of the Society of Antiquaries, Schnebbelie was appointed draughtsman to the society. He drew several views of ancient buildings published in the second and third volumes of Vetusta monumenta. In 1791 he commenced the publication of the Antiquaries’ Museum, illustrating the ancient architecture, painting, and sculpture of Britain in a series of etched and aquatinted plates. He lived to complete only three parts. The work was continued by Richard Nichols and John Gough, and issued as a volume, with a memoir of him, in 1800. Schnebbelie died at his home at no. 7 Poland Street in February 1792.

Up next 1764-1825 - Broad Street (Soho) 1750-1768 - Haymarket (Westminster)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)