Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1766-1781 - John Street (Bloomsbury)

Painter Antonio Zucchi was born in Venice on 1 May 1726, the son of an engraver. His early style developed from Venetian Rococo to Neo-Classicism which attracted the attention of Robert Adam. In 1754 he accompanied Adam on his tour through Italy and Dalmatia, sketching architectural remains. Twelve years later, Antonio and his elder brother Giuseppe, an engraver, arrived in London to work for Robert Adam.

Antonio Zucchi became his chief decorative painter, especially known for his large capriccios, illustrations from Homer and Virgil, and arabesque work. He designed the frontispiece for The Works in Architecture of Robert and James Adam (1773). He resided at no. 3 John Street whilst collaborating with Adam on the the interior decoration of a number of houses. On 14 July 1781 he married the successful Swiss-born painter Angelica Kauffman. Shortly after, the couple departed from England and settled in Rome in a large house on the Via Sistina. He died in Rome in 1795.

Up next 1765-1782 - Cheyne Walk (Chelsea) 1770-1786 - Sutton Street (Soho)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)