Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1767-onwards - New Bond Street (Westminster)

P & D Colnaghi & Co is an art dealership in New Bond Street which claims to be the oldest commercial art gallery in the world, having been established in 1760. The business that became the Colnaghi gallery was established by firework manufacturer Giovanni Battista Torre in Paris in 1760. Torre opened a shop with the name Cabinet de Physique Expérimentale where he sold scientific instruments, books and prints. In 1767, his son Anthony moved to London where he opened a sister shop, specialising in prints, in partnership with Anthony Molteno, another Italian immigrant. Giovanni Torre died in 1780, and in 1784 Anthony Torre hired Paul Colnaghi to manage a new shop in Paris. Colnaghi left Paris for London in May 1785, to join Torre and Molteno, who had become successful selling prints by leading British engravers. The London business moved to Pall Mall in 1786. From 1793 onwards the firm was run by Colnaghi and continued by his offspring.

Up next 1764-1802 - Warwick Street (Soho) 1770-1778 - Union Street (Southwark)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)