Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1770-1810 - Wimpole Street (Marylebone)

Draughtsman and engraver Benedetto [Benedict] Pastorini was born in Italy (date and place of birth are not known). He had settled in England by the early 1770s, where he was employed as a decorator of ceilings. He also studied stipple engraving under Francesco Bartolozzi and, working from no. 63 Wimpole Street, he executed plates in this manner, mostly subjects after Angelica Kauffman, Antonio Zucchi, John Francis Rigaud, and other immigrant artists. Between 1762 and 1774 Pastorini was employed to engrave the plates for Works in Architecture by the Adam brothers. In 1775 he published a set of ten engravings, entitled A New Book of Designs for Girandoles and Glass Frames in the Present Taste. When the Society of Engravers was formed in 1803 to protect engravers and their families, Pastorini was one of its first governors. He died in London at some time between 1806 and 1810.

Up next 1769-1801 - Orchard Street (Marylebone) 1770-1838 - Broadway (Westminster)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)