Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1785-1839 - Pall Mall (Westminster)

Flautist, publisher, and instrument-maker Tebaldo Monzani was born in 1762 in Verona. Having moved to London in 1785, he appeared as first flute at the King’s Theatre, Haymarket, and played in concerts organised by Johann Peter Salomon both as a soloist and orchestral musician. He entered the domain of music publishing in 1787. He briefly worked with the pianomaker and publisher James Ball before entering into a partnership with Giambattista Cimador.

From 1803, the firm of Monzani & Cimador operated from the Opera Music Warehouse at no. 2 Pall Mall. In 1805, having moved to no. 2 Old Bond Street, Monzani continued this activity alone. Around 1800 he started making his own flutes. Seven years later he joined forces with instrument maker Henry Hill. The firm of Monzani & Hill produced flutes and clarinets. Such was the quality of their work that they came under Royal patronage around 1815 as music seller to the Prince Regent’.

The business operated from a number of prominent addresses Old Bond Street (1808-1814), Dover Street (1814-1819), and Regent Street (1820-1829). In 1829 Monzani retired and died in July 1839. The company was initially continued by Hill, then by his widow and son until 1845, when the firm’s stock was sold at auction.

Up next 1778-1791 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1787-1846 - Strand (Covent Garden)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)