Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1789-1815 - Marylebone Street (Marylebone)

Plaster figure maker, sculptor, and mason Bartholomew Papera was born around 1749 in Italy. He arrived in London in or before 1789 speaking little or no English. He settled in Pimlico, but operated his business from no. 16 Marylebone Street, Golden Square. Until the early 1830s the family firm worked from the same address. The Paperas were active as plaster figure makers and sculptors for over two generations. Serving a large number of clients (aristocrats, artists, and manufacturers - including Wedgwood), he was appointed plaster figure maker to the Queen in 1795. He died in August 1815. His wife Susanna Pappera continued the business and she was listed at trade directories in the 1820s. His son James Phillip Papera was born in London. Between 1829 and 1831 (working from Marylebone Street) he exhibited busts at the Royal Academy. He later moved to Cambridge from where he sent several works to the Great Exhibition.

Up next 1780-1787 - Artillery Ground (City of London) 1789-1829 - Baker Street (Westminster)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)