Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1790-1825 - Dean Street (Soho)

Composer, music publisher, and teacher Domenico Corri was born in Rome on 4 October 1746, the son of a confectioner. He studied violin and harpsichord and received tuition from Nicola Porpora in Naples between 1763 and 1767. For two years he was employed by the exiled pretender to the British throne, Charles Edward Stuart, who was an amateur cellist. His opera La raminga fedele (now lost) appeared in 1770. Charles Burnley was in Rome at the time and was impressed by the performance of Corri and his later wife, the soprano Alice Bacchelli. He invited them to Edinburgh and perform at the St Cecilia’s Hall concerts. They arrived in August 1771.

Corri moved into publishing about 1779, setting up business in Bridge Street with his brother Natale Corri who had been a singing teacher and guitarist in Rome. Domenico moved to London about 1790 and continued to publish music at no. 67 Dean Street, Soho. By then his son-in-law, the pianist and composer Jan Ladislav Dussek, had become a business partner.

The firm Corri, Dussek & Co. also acted as agent for Broadwood’s piano firm. Financial difficulties prompted Dussek to flee to the Continent towards the end of 1799. Domenico continued the business alone. From about 1801 to 1804 he was based at no. 28 Haymarket. Domenico had earlier written a Musical Dictionary (1798), and he continued composing and teaching for another decade or so. He died in Hampstead in May 1825. His sons Anthony, Haydn, and Montague also made careers in music. The latter took over his father’s publishing business.

Up next 1790-1814 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1807-1852 - High Holborn (Holborn)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)