Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1791-1895 - Pall Mall (Westminster)

Composer, singer, violinist, and music publisher Giambattista Cimador was born Giovanni Battista Cimadoro in 1761 in Venice into a noble family. Having studied the violin, cello and piano, his first composition Ati e Cibele was performed in Venice in 1789. This was soon followed by Pimmalione, a monodrama after Rousseau for tenor and orchestra. He moved to London in 1791 where he was active as a music teacher and piano soloist. Around 1800 he joined forces with fellow Italian and music publisher Tebaldo Monzani. From 1803, the firm of Monzani & Cimador operated from the Opera Music Warehouse at no. 2 Pall Mall. Cimador was active in rearranging works by Mozart. Arias, duets, trios, etc. were taken from operatic works and arranged to be accompanied by piano, violin, or flute. He died in February 1895.

Up next 1790-1821 - Great Pulteney Street (Soho) 1792-1839 - Newman Street (Fitzrovia)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)