Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1809-1854 - Bedford Square (Bloomsbury)

Lithographer Maxim Gauci was born Massimo Gauci on 11 February 1774 in Valetta, Malta. He studied painting under Michele Busuttil and attended the Accedemia de San Luca in Rome. He settled in Paris where he was known as Maxime Gauci. Having travelled to Egypt and the Middle East, he moved to London in 1809. He was known for the quality of his botanical illustrations. His firm completed works that included Plantae Asiaticae rariores by Nathaniel Wallach and Orchidaceae of Mexico and Guatemala by James Bateman (boasting the largest lithographic plates ever produced). He also produced the lithography for John Forbes Royle’s Illustrations of the botany … of the Himalayan Mountains, and of the flora of Cashmere. He was father of William Gauci, also a lithographer, and the landscape painter Paul Gauci. They continued running the family firm at no. 9 North Crescent, Bedford Square. Maxim died in November 1854.

Up next 1806-1872 - Savile Row (Mayfair) 1810-2013 - Waterloo Place (Westminster)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)