Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1810-2013 - Waterloo Place (Westminster)

Picture dealer, frame maker, and print publisher Vittore Zanetti was born about 1746 in the Lake Garda area. The time of his arrival in England is not known, but he settled in Manchester where he started a company of picture dealers with his brother Vincent and Giovanni. The partnership was dissolved in January 1801. From 1803 he advertised his Repository of Arts, dealing in mirrors, picture frames, prints, etc. In 1810, he made a move that turned out to be a major contribution to the arts trade. He apprenticed John Agnew as a carver and gilder. By 1817, the latter was a partner in the business. Thomas Agnew became sole proprietor of the business in 1837, becoming one of the country’s leading print sellers and publishers. Zanetti died in 1855. Agnew & Sons opened their London branch at no. 5 Waterloo Place, St James’s in 1860. It closed in 2013. Its substantial archive was acquired by the National Gallery.

Up next 1809-1854 - Bedford Square (Bloomsbury) 1815-1855 - Tower of London (City of London)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)