Violinist and child prodigy Nicolas Mori was born on 24 January 1796, the son of a wig maker. In 1808 he became a pupil of Giovanni Battista Viotti and remained under his tuition until 1814. Under Viotti’s auspices he took part in the first concert of the Philharmonic Society in 1813. In 1816 he was appointed as one of the orchestra’s leaders, subsequently playing at ninety-two of the Society’s concerts. In 1819 Mori married Elizabeth Lavenu, the widow of the music publisher Lewis Lavenu, and carried on the business at no. 28 New Bond Street in conjunction with his stepson, Louis Henry Lavenu. The firm, operating as Mori & Lavenu from about 1828 to 1839, issued the English editions of works by Mendelssohn, including his violin concerto in D minor. In 1823, following the establishment of the Royal Academy of Music, he became a member of the first board of professors. From 1827 to 1834 Mori was leader of the Covent Garden opera orchestra. He died in London in June 1839. Both his sons made their careers as musicians in London.