Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1816-1837 - Upper King Street (Bloomsbury)

Plaster cast figure maker and moulder Pietro Angelo [Peter] Sarti was born in 1793 at Vetriano in the province of Lucca. Having worked in France first, he moved to London by 1816 where he joined the workshop of Matthew Mazzoni. He settled at no. 6 Upper King Street, Bloomsbury. Sarti was in business independently as a plaster cast figure maker by 1822 and was described as a mould figure maker in Robson’s 1826 London directory. He later moved to Soho, working from no. 59 Greek Street, then from no. 92 Dean Street, and finally from Southampton Street. Between 1816 and 1823 he was contracted by the British Museum to make plaster casts of classical marble treasures (including the Rosetta Stone for the Government of Prussia). He was the Museum’s first official maker of plaster casts. In 1836 Sarti was described as the most substantial of the formatori resident in London’. He left shortly after and died at Lucca in 1868.

Up next 1816-1827 - Edwardes Square (Kensington) 1759-1797 - Soho Square (Soho)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)