Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1820-1833 - Jermyn Street (Soho)

Fishmonger and food importer Clemente [Clement] Bassano was born in 1779 (the family name originates from the Veneto region). It is not known when he arrived in London. He started his career as a fishmonger on the corner of Castle Street and Cranbourne Street, Soho. By 1825 he ran a warehouse from no. 27 Jermyn Street, importing vermicelli, almonds, oil, raisons, capers, and macaroni (according to his business card). He was declared bankrupt in February 1826 and died in London in July 1833. He and his English wife had a number of children. His second daughter Louise was an opera singer. She toured with Franz Liszt during his visit to Britain in 1840/1. Her younger brother Alessandro Bassano [Alexander] was a high society portrait photographer. He founded a studio in Regent Street in 1850. He then moved to Piccadilly, from there to Pall Mall, and finally to Old Bond Street. His most famous photo became the Lord Kitchener Wants You’ recruitment poster during the First World War.

Up next 1519-1554 - Fleet Street (City of London) 1825-1861 - Haymarket (Westminster)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)