Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1821-1908 - Granville Square (Clerkenwell)

Antonio Grego, a native of Como, settled in London before 1821 as a looking-glass manufacturer, the firm becoming Susan Grego & Sons in 1839, and Charles & Joseph Grego in 1845. His grandson Joseph was born on 23 September 1843 at no. 23 Granville Square, Clerkenwell. He became an art historian and was specialised in the work of James Gillray, Thomas Rowlandson, George Morland, and George Cruikshank. He was chiefly responsible for an edition of James Gillray’s works, The Works of J. G. the Caricaturist, with the History of his Life and Times (1873) and he edited Rowlandson the Caricaturist (1880), which became standard reference books. Grego also wrote the History of Parliamentary Elections (1886). He was a director of Carl Hentschel’s firm of photo-engravers and a substantial shareholder in the firm of Kegan Paul, and of the Graphic Company. Grego died in January 1908 at Granville Square where he had lived all his life.

Up next 1821-1881 - Upper James Street (Westminster) 1822-1825 - Haymarket (Westminster)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)