Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1832-1915 - Frognal Lane (Hampstead)

Electrical engineer Charles Ernest Paolo della Diana Spagnoletti was born at Brompton on 12 July 1832. His father Ernesto was a musician and his grandfather Paolo Spagnoletti was one of the leading violin players of his day. The Sardinian family, descending from the ancient noble house of Della Diana, had been forced into exile by Napoleon. In 1847 Spagnoletti started work for the Electric Telegraph Company, before joining the Great Western Railway (GWR). He made many electrical inventions. Besides signalling and telegraph equipment, he designed bells, bridges, clocks, and a fire alarm, all worked by electricity. He installed the first electric light at several London termini and advised on the use of electricity at the Crystal Palace.

In 1890 the City and South London Railway, acting on his advice, became Britain’s first electric underground railway. After leaving the GWR, Spagnoletti became managing director of the Phonophore Company, and worked on telephone development. Spagnoletti continued the musical interests of his father and grandfather. He composed many songs and had a good tenor voice. When William Preece showed the first Edison phonograph at a meeting of the Society of Telegraph Engineers in 1878, Spagnoletti sang the national anthem into it. Spagnoletti died in June 1915 at his home at no. 16 Frognal Lane, Hampstead, where he had lived for more than ten years.

Up next 1825-1861 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1841-1898 - Queen Square
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)