Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1842-1844 - Greville Street (Clerkenwell)

The July Revolution of 1830 in Paris set in motion conspiratorial movements in a number of northern Italian cities and their brutal repression. One of the victims was Tuscan-born Luigi Bucalossi who was forced into London exile in 1831 having taken part in an uprising in Rimini. When Mazzini set up his school in Little Italy, he invited Bucallossi to act as its administrator. Education and communication being considered of crucial importance, he was put in charge of editing and publishing Il Pellegrino, a weekly journal distributed free of charge to pupils attending the school. Produced at no. 5 Greville Street, Hatton Garden, each issue consisted of four pages and was printed in double columns. Between June 1842 and June 1843, the run consisted of fifty copies. Bucalossi continued his educational effort with the publication of L’Educatore which ran from August 1843 to June 1844.

Up next 1841-1898 - Queen Square 1846-1898 - Northwick Terrace (St John’s Wood)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)