Tags: Child Care, Church History, Societies, Education, Periodicals, Italy, place: Florence
Educationalist Salvatore Ferretti was born in Florence on 15 September 1817. During his studies he mixed with Swiss Protestants living in the city. Exile was the lot for those who deserted the Catholic Church. Ferretti spent a year in Geneva and moved to London in 1842 where he founded a school to save children from exploitation by fellow Italians. The ‘Protestant Orphanage’ was put under the auspices of the Society for the Religious Care and Instruction of Foreigners, initiated by Lord Shaftesbury. Later Ferretti edited the journal L’Eco di Savaronarola which ran from 1847 to 1860 and was produced at Red Lion Court, Fleet Street. It was a bilingual publication intended to spread the Gospel among Italian exiles and expose the errors of the Catholic Church. In 1861, Ferretti returned to Florence, where he established a Protestant orphanage for girls which today still functions today as the Centro Diurno Ferretti. He died in Florence in 1874 and was buried there at the English Cemetery.