Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1844-1888 - Highbury Grove (Islington)

Tags: Academies, Banking, Jews, Law, Trade, Italy, place: Ancona

Jurist and political economist Leone Levi was born on 6 June 1821 in Ancona into a Jewish merchant family. He began working for his brother at the age of fifteen and travelled to Liverpool in 1844 to expand the business. He became a proponent of commercial reform. His plan for a local Chamber of Commerce was well received and after a public meeting in November 1849 the Liverpool Chamber of Commerce was founded, with Levi as its Honorary Secretary. His ideas were put together in a study on Commercial Law: Its Principles and Administration (1850/2). In 1852 Levi was appointed Professor of the Principles and Practice of Commerce and Commercial Law at King’s College, London. In 1872 he published his acclaimed History of British Commerce. Soon after his arrival in England, Levi had abandoned Judaism and became a member of the Presbyterian Church, but his Italian roots remained strong. He dedicated a scientific library and a lectureship on commercial laws to the Technical Institute at Ancona. He died in May 1888 at his home at no. 31 Highbury Grove.

Up next 1844-1850 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1845-onwards­­­­ - Clerkenwell Road (Clerkenwell)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)