Barrel-organ manufacturer Giuseppe Chiappa was born in 1828. He served an apprenticeship in Paris under the famous mechanical organ manufacturer Gavioli (the company had been founded in 1806 in Modena by Giacomo Gavioli). On the completion of his training, he moved to London to establish his own business as a Barrel Organ Manufacturer and Repairer in the 1860s. The first company premises were at no. 5 Little Saffron Hill (now: Herbal Hill, Clerkenwell). Chiappa amassed a large stock of hand-cranked barrel organs that he would maintain, retune, and rent out by the day to Italian street musicians. For a period, Chiappa went into business with Gustavus Fursani. The firm of Chiappa & Fursani traded from no. 6 Little Bath Street, Clerkenwell. The partnership was dissolved in 1880.