Barrel-organ manufacturer Chiaro Frati was born around 1844. He served an apprenticeship in Paris under the famous mechanical organ manufacturer Gavioli, whose company was founded in Modena by Giacomo Gavioli in 1806. On completion of his training, he moved to London around 1870. According to the 1871 census he lodged no. 7a New Charles Street, Saffron Hill. The 1872 London directory places his shop at no. 1 Farringdon Road. Frati remained in the Clerkenwell area until 1877 when he left London for Berlin. He died in 1891.