Picture restorer Giovanni Sciarretta was born in Italy (details are lacking). He was in London by 1873 when he was working for the painter and art critic Henry Merritt. After the latter’s death in 1877, he established himself at no. 9 Rathbone Place, Fitzrovia, and succeeded Merritt as a restorer for the Fitzwilliam Museum. Between 1878 and 1881, Sciarretta worked from no. 24 Langham Street, Fitzrovia. In 1881, he acted as administrator of the estate of fellow restorer and compatriate Rafaelle [Raphael] Pinti and succeeded to his premises at no. 46 Berners Street, Soho. There he died in 1887.