Sculptor Conrad Bührer was born around 1852 in Stetten. He trained in Zurich, Frankfurt-am-Main, and Paris where he was a fellow-student of Alfred Gilbert. He followed Gilbert to London in or before 1881 and assisted him in the 1880s until a quarrel ended their association. Bührer exhibited at Royal Academy, mainly portrait busts, on six occasions between 1882 and 1930, and at the New English Art Club and the New Gallery.
He can be found in censuses in 1891 as a sculptor at no. 15 Waterford Road, Fulham. By 1901 he was working on own account at no. 40 St Clement’s Mansions, Fulham. From 1893 to 1896, he ran a school of modelling for ladies in Chelsea, known as the Onslow College of Art. Later, he taught modelling in clay at the Grosvenor Life School. Bührer’s work as a founder is poorly documented and seems to belong to the late 1880s and early 1890s. He produced garden ornaments, figures, and fountains in lead and bronze. He died in 1937 in London.