In 1957, part of the original London city wall was unearthed between Coleman Street and Basinghall Street. Constructed by the Romans between approximately AD 190 and AD 225, it offered protection to the city far into the medieval period and determined the shape London’s early development. Uniformity of design and construction suggests that the wall was planned as a single project. It enclosed the area from Tower Hill to Blackfriars. It was laid out in straight sections, linking the major routes into London. Gateways were constructed at Aldgate, Bishopsgate, Newgate, and Ludgate. The defensive nature of much of the Wall’s circuit was strengthened by an external ditch.