Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1900-1904 - Hanway Street (Fitzrovia)

Jeweller and art metal worker Josef [Joseph] Anton Hodel was born in 1874 in Lucerne. He may have received training at the Lucerne School of Arts and Crafts. He worked for Bossard goldsmiths in Lucerne. There he struck a friendship with fellow worker Louis Weingartner. They later became partners or associates after they moved to Britain in 1900. From 1900 until 1904 they shared a studio in Hanway Street, Fitzrovia. Both practitioners worked for Walter Gilbert’s Bromsgrove Guild of Applied Art in the early 1900s, with Hodel as chief designer.

In 1908 he was appointed to teach metalwork at Liverpool School of Art. During the First World War Hodel was interned, but returned to teaching and practice after 1918. He received a number of commissions during the 1920s including a commemorative bowl to mark the completion of the Mersey Tunnel (Liverpool Town Hall). Hodel died in May 1930.

Up next 1960-1967 - New Bond Street (Westminster) 1444-1454 - Lombard Street (City of London)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)