Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1937-1950 - South Audley Street (Mayfair)

Couturier Bianca Mosca was born Bianca Lea Rosa Mottironi in Italy (further details are lacking). Not much is known about her early years, but at some point she moved to Paris, spending eighteen years there. She was a cousin of the designer Elsa Schiaparelli who helped her to make a career in fashion.

From 1935, Mosca managed Schiaparelli’s Schiap Shop, a trendy Parisian boutique. She moved to London in 1937 to manage Jeanne Paquin’s branch at no. 39 Dover Street, Mayfair (which was bombed after her first days of work at the premises). She later joined Jacqmar (founded in 1932 by Jack and Mary Lyons), famous producers of scarves and ties located at Grosvenor Street, Mayfair.

Her designs were signed Bianca Mosca at Jacqmar’. She launched her own house in 1945 at no. 22 South Audley Street, Mayfair. Two years later she was a founder member of the Incorporated Society of London Fashion Designers (InSoc). During the war she was involved in the design of utility clothing’ (introduced as part of a set of austerity regulations by the government).

After the war, with other IncSoc members, she participated in creating film costumes to promote British couture, including Maytime in Mayfair starring Anna Neagle. By December 1949 Mosca’s label was closed down during a post-war slump in sales of British couture. She died suddenly in June 1950. The Bianca Mosca Trust Fund was subsequently set up in her honour to award an annual scholarship to an aspiring fashion designer.

Up next 1947-1998 - West Heath Drive (Hampstead) 1932-1966 - Kings Road (Chelsea)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)